Welcome to Career Services!
If you are a current student, please
click here to be directed to our online career center, which contains additional resources related to your job search.
Our students have a passion for making a difference in the world, whether in traditional law firms or in law- and policy-related positions in a range of fields, including agriculture, criminal law, general practice, natural resources, energy, international, and law and technology.
Our goal is to help you realize your passion by developing a long-term plan that leads to a successful and meaningful career. We begin by assigning you an individual counselor since each student’s job search is unique and deserving of personal attention. Then, through a combination of frequent one-on-one meetings, workshops, panels, and informal networking events, we help you develop a personal strategic plan that includes coursework, hands-on experiential offerings, and work experience that will give you the background and skills necessary to succeed. We know that looking for a job is hard work and we have developed an approach that can help even the most apprehensive job seeker ease into a successful career.
Highlights of the First Year
1L JD Fall
• You will be assigned a personal career and academic counselor who will work with you over the course of your time at VLS.
• 1L Career Kick-off: In October and November, there will be a series of events, including speakers and workshops featuring VLS alumni and students, addressing the career opportunities that exist as well as the skills needed to be successful in obtaining them. The series will culminate in a mock interview program where each student will have the opportunity to interview with an experienced attorney (some interviews have led to summer jobs!).
• You will also begin to work with your personal counselor to develop your resume, cover letters, and other application materials .
1L JD Spring
• You will continue to meet with your personal counselor as you develop your academic and career schedule for your second and third years.
• You can participate in our spring on-campus interviewing program, when a number of employers from the area seek out 1Ls for summer positions.
• You can participate in the Washington, D.C., Interviewing Fair held exclusively for VLS students each March.
• You can use our video conferencing equipment to reach employers across the country.
• You can work with your personal counselor to submit applications to the jobs that are right for you.
• You first meet your career counselor during orientation and continue to meet throughout the fall to polish your resume and develop a strategy to develop your career goals.
• At our Career Panel and Networking Reception for master's students, you meet alumni from the master's programs and learn about a range of career options.
• Through a workshop on networking, you learn how to network with alumni as well as create a professional LinkedIn page and a professional website—utilizing social media to enhance your professional presence.
• You will continue to meet with your counselor as you begin externship and job searches, working together to develop targeted and focused application materials.
• You and your classmates can learn and share with each other through workshops that focus on the employment search.
We welcome the chance to speak with you about your particular path, and encourage you to reach out to us by contacting Michelle Parent at
email@example.com or 802-831-1243.