The application process for online degrees is identical to the application process for on-campus degrees, though there may be slight differences in application requirements.
Application Evaluation Criteria
Applicants will be evaluated based on their overall ability to do graduate work. Factors that will be considered in the application review include:
- GPA from undergraduate and any graduate schools
- Successful work history after completion of the baccalaureate degree
- Essays as described below
- Letters of recommendation from professors or professional or volunteer experience supervisors
- OPTIONAL: Official GRE Score
Neither the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) nor the Law School Admission Test (LSAT) is required for applicants to the Master's programs. However students who have taken the exam may submit their scores to support their application. Scores should be sent directly to the school (GRE & LSAT Code: 3946) for consideration.
Check-List of Materials
- Completed application form
- $60.00 (USD) application fee
- Professional resume or curriculum vitae
- Essays as described below
- Two letters of recommendation
- Official transcripts from all schools attended
- OPTIONAL OR UPON REQUEST: Official LSAT Score (LLM only)
- All applicants whose native language is not English and have not lived or studied in an English-speaking country for at least two years must submit TOEFL, PTE or IELTS scores
To apply for our Online Master's or LLM Programs, please use the Vermont Law and Graduate School (VLGS) Web Application.
Vermont Law and Graduate School has an application fee of $60.00 (USD)
- Describe the goals that are motivating you to pursue a Law/Master's or LLM degree. How do you think the skills and experiences you will gain at Vermont Law and Graduate School will help you achieve these goals?
- Diversity Statement (300 word limit) In what ways would you contribute to and/or support Vermont Law and Graduate School's commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion?
- How have you tried to effect change in relation to an issue of personal, local, or national significance?
- If you feel your academic record is not reflective of your ability to succeed in this program, please provide an explanation or context to our Admissions Committee to consider.
Letters of Recommendation
It is preferred that one letter of recommendation be academic in nature. If an applicant has been out of school for a number of years, two professional letters will be accepted.
Recommenders will receive instructions on how to submit their letters after applicant submits the Application Form. Recommenders' questions can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Letters received directly from applicants will not be accepted.
If you are currently enrolled at an institution which has an established International Dual Degree partnership with VLGS, please work through your home-institution's processes in order to apply for an opportunity to learn at VLS. For individuals outside of the United States who are not currently enrolled at another institution, or who are enrolled at an institution that VLGS does not have a formal partnership with, please note the following additional application requirements:
INTERNATIONAL CREDENTIAL EVALUATION REQUIREMENT
- All international transcripts must be evaluated by an official evaluation agency. Recommended evaluation agencies include Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE.org) and World Education Services (WES.org).
ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENT
- TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE score is required of all students for whom English is not the primary language spoken. Applicants who have studied in the U.S. or at an English-speaking institution for more than two years may be waived from this requirement.
- TOEFL minimum score: 600 paper-based, 250 computer-based, 100 Internet-based
- IELTS minimum score: 6.5
- PTE minimum score: 68
Opportunities and Options
If you have any questions about the following, please contact the admissions team via the information at the bottom of this page.
Duration and Start
Most students pursue the online Master's and LLM 30-credit programs on a part-time basis and have up to five years to obtain their degree.
Financial Aid Opportunities
Vermont Law School offers tuition scholarships to exceptional Master's and LLM candidates each year. In addition to possessing strong academic records, scholarship recipients must demonstrate a commitment to environmental law and policy and public service. There is no separate application process for scholarships; all admitted candidates will be given full consideration. See Tuition & Financial Aid for all scholarship opportunities for Master's and LLM candidates.
Joint Degree Opportunities
If you are interested in pursuing a joint degree, see How to Apply to Joint Degree Programs for more information. Please note that admission to a Master's or LLM program does not ensure admission to a joint degree program.
Dual Degree Opportunities
If you are interested in pursuing a dual degree, see How to Apply to a Dual Degree Program. Please note that admission to a Master's or LLM program does not ensure admission to a dual degree program.
Credits received at other institutions transfer at the discretion of the VLS Registrar.
Vermont Law School reviews applications on a rolling basis. The Admission Committee reviews all complete applications and applicants are notified promptly of the admission decision. Vermont Law and Graduate School does not share information or provide any feedback regarding admission decisions.
Acceptance of Offer for Admissions
An applicant offered admission must make a total non-refundable tuition deposit of $750 by the deposit deadlines indicated in the offer of admission in order to secure a place in the incoming class. The deposit will be applied in full toward the student's tuition upon enrollment.
Please contact the Admissions Office if you have questions about admissions or programs.
Toll free: 888-277-5985
Please submit all physical application materials to:
Vermont Law and Graduate School Office of Admissions
164 Chelsea Street, PO Box 96
South Royalton, VT 05068