JD, University of California, Berkeley, Boalt Hall School of Law, 1975;
BA, Harvard College, 1969
Awards and Affiliations
Teaching at VLS
- Visiting distinguished professor of environmental law from public interest practice 2004–05.
- A member of the regular Vermont Law School faculty since 2005.
- Served as acting associate dean of environmental programs and acting director of the Environmental Law Center in 2005–06.
- Has served as Associate Dean of the Environmental Law Programs and Director of the Environmental Law Center since August 2007.
Contributions to the Law
- Three decades of trial and appellate litigation practice on behalf of governments and community based organizations on environmental issues.
- In Land Use Law, represented of the California Attorney General in several of the first cases enforcing the statutory obligations of local jurisdictions to complete and adopt legally adequate general plans and ensure zoning consistency with the adopted plan.
- Drafted some of the earliest agricultural protection initiatives in California in the early 1980s on behalf of coalition of farmers and environmentalists.
- Created transferable development rights ordinances, including the TDR scheme that preserves downtown San Francisco.
- Represented cities in securing large and complex public-private projects. Professor Mihaly has served as lead outside counsel to the following: the City of Sacramento, CA, as it addressed proposals by Southern Pacific to redevelop the 240-acre Southern Pacific Rail Yards; lead outside counsel to the City of Alameda, CA, with redevelopment of both the Fleet Industrial Supply Center (FISC) and the Naval Air Station.
- Co-founding partner; managing partner, Shute, Mihaly and Weinberger, San Francisco, CA, 1980–2004.
- Deputy attorney general, Environmental Unit, California Department of Justice, Office of the Attorney General, 1976–80.
- Legal Aid Society of San Mateo County, 1976–77.
- Editor in Chief, Ecology Law Quarterly, 1973–74.
- United States Peace Corps, El Salvador, 1969–71.