John D. Echeverria
BA, Yale College, 1976;
JD, Yale Law School, 1981;
MFS, Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Studies, 1981
- John D. Echeverria, The Public Trust Doctrine as a Background Principles Defense in Takings Litigation, 45 UC Davis Law Review 931 (2012).
- John D. Echeverria, Public Takings of Private Contracts, 38 Ecology Law Quarterly 639 (2012).
- John D. Echeverria, Stop the Beach Renourishment: Why the Judiciary is Different, 35 Vt. L. Rev. 475 (2010) .
- John D. Echeverria, Is Regulation of Water a Constitutional Taking?, 11 Vt. J. Envtl. L 579 (2010).
- John D. Echeverria & Glenn P. Sugameli, The Endangered Species Act and the Constitutional Takings Issue, in Endangered Species Act: Law, Policy, and Perspectives: Second Edition, eds. Donald C. Baur & Wm. Robert Irvin (American Bar Ass'n 2010).
- John D. Echeverria, Making Sense of Penn Central, 39 Envtl. L. Rep. News & Analysis 10471, (2009).
- John D. Echeverria & Thekla Hansen-Young, The Track Record on Takings Legislation: Lessons from Democracy's Laboratories, 28 Stan. Envtl. L.J. 439 (2009).
- John D. Echeverria and Jeff Pidot, Drawing the Line: Striking a Principled Balance Between Regulating and Paying to Protect the Land, 39 Envtl. L. Rptr. 10868 (2009).
- John D. Echeverria, Commentary, The Track Record on Takings Legislation: The Results from Florida and Oregon, 60 Plan. & Envtl. L. 3 (2008).
- John D. Echeverria, The Death of Regulatory Takings, 34 Ecology L.Q. 291 (2007).
- John D. Echeverria, Property Values and Oregon Measure 37: Exposing the False Premise of Regulation's Harm to Landowners (GELPI 2007)
- John D. Echeverria, From a “Darkling Plain” to What?: The Regulatory Takings Issue in U.S. Law and Policy, 30 Vt. L. Rev. 969 (2006).
- John D. Echeverria & Robert G. Dreher, Kelo’s Unanswered Questions: the Policy Debate Over the Use of Eminent Domain for Economic Development (GELPI 2006).
- John D. Echeverria, The Triumph of Justice Stevens and the Principle of Generality, 7 Vt. J. Envtl. L. 22 (2005-06).
- John D. Echeverria, Regulating Versus Paying Land Owners to Protect the Environment, 26 J. Land Resources Envtl. L. 1 (2005).
- John D. Echeverria, Lingle Etc., The U.S. Supreme Court’s Takings Trilogy, 35 Envtl. L. Rptr. 10577 (2005)
- John D. Echeverria, The Real Contract on America, The Environmental Forum (July/August 2003)
- John D. Echeverria, Regulatory Takings After Brown, 33 Envtl. L. Rptr. 10626 (2003)
- John D. Echeverria & Julie Lurman, “Perfectly Astounding” Public Rights: Wildlife Protection and the Takings Clause, 16 Tul. Envtl. L.J. 331 (2003).
- John D. Echeverria & Julie B. Kaplan, Symposium, Poisonous Procedural “Reform”: In Defense of Environmental Right-to-Know, 12 Kan. J.L. & Pub. Pol’y 579 (2003).
- John D. Echeverria, Standing and Mootness Decisions in the Wake of Laidlaw, 10 Widener L. Rev. 183 (2003).
- John D. Echeverria, A Turning of the Tide: The Tahoe-Sierra Regulatory Takings Decision, 32 Envtl. L. Rptr. 11235 (2002)
- John D. Echeverria, Do Partial Regulatory Takings Exist?, in Taking Sides on Takings Issues, Pub. & Priv. Persp. § 9.0, (A.B.A. 2002).
- John D. Echeverria, Commentary, The Once and Future Penn Central Test, 54 Land Use L. & Zoning Dig. 19 (2002).
- John D. Echeverria, Changing the Rules by Changing the Players: The Environmental Issue in State Judicial Elections, 9 N.Y.U. Envtl. L.J. 217 (2001)
- John D. Echeverria, A Preliminary Assessment of Palazzolo v. Rhode Island, 31 Envtl. L. Rptr. 11112 (2001)
- John D. Echeverria, No Success Like Failure: The Platte River Collaborative Watershed Planning Process, 25 Wm. & Mary Envtl. L. & Pol’y Rev. 559 (2001).
- John D. Echeverria, Critiquing Laidlaw: Congressional Power to Confer Standing and the Irrelevance of Mootness Doctrine to Civil Penalties, 11 Duke Envtl. L. & Pol’y F. 287 (2001).
- John D. Echeverria, Changing the Rules by Changing the Players: The Environmental Issue in State Judicial Elections, 9 N.Y.U. Envtl. L.J. 217 (2001).
- John D. Echeverria, Takings and Errors, 51 Ala. L. Rev. 1047 (2000).
- John D. Echeverria, Revving the Engines in Neutral, City of Monterey v. Del Monte Dunes at Monterey, Ltd., 29 Envtl. L. 10682 (1999)
- John D. Echeverria & Jon T. Zeidler, Barely Standing: The Erosion of Citizen Standing to Sue to Enforce Environmental Law (GELPI 1999).
- John D. Echeverria, Does a Regulation that Fails to Advance a Legitimate Governmental Interest Result in a Regulatory Taking?, 29 Envtl. L. 853 (1999).
- John D. Echeverria, The Politics of Property Rights, 50 Okla. L. Rev. 351 (1997).
- John D. Echeverria & Sharon Dennis, The Takings Issue and the Due Process Clause: A Way Out of a Doctrinal Confusion, 17 Vt. L. Rev. 695 (Spring 1993).
- John D. Echeverria, The Electric Consumers Protection Act of 1986, 8 Energy L.J. 61 (1987).
- The Loss of Community Environmental Values: an American Tragedy
Speech presented by Peter Douglas in Monterey, California on October 13, 1997 before the California Chapter of the American Planning Association.
- Property Rights and Public Values. A presentation given by Donovan D. Rypkema on June 13, 2001 at the National Building Museum for the Smart Growth lecture series.
- The Texas Private Real Property Rights Preservation Act After Seven Years: Unfulfilled Dreams and Unrealized Fears, by Andrew S. Miller, Kemp, Smith, P.C., Austin, Texas. This article was originally published in the Texas Environmental Law Journal. Miller concludes that the Texas takings law "has not lived up to the dreams of its proponents or the fears of its detractors."
- Excerpt from forthcoming book on public health law by Georgetown Law Associate Dean Lawrence O. Gostin.
- In Horne v. Department of Agriculture, SCOTUS to Wade into Complicated Nest of Takings Issues, Center for Progressive Reform Blog, March 13, 2013
- The Muddy Arkansas Game and Fish Commission Case, Center for Progressive Reform Blog, September 25, 2012
- Green Light for Beach Renourishment, Red Light for Judicial Takings, American Planning Association, Planning & Environmental Law, September 2010
- Ninth Circuit Has Chance to Correct Flawed Takings Decision, Los Angeles Daily Journal, Reprinted and/or posted with the permission of Daily Journal Corp. (2010), June 17, 2010
- In Stop the Beach Renourishment Ruling, Conservatives Come up One Vote Short in Quest to Remake Property Rights Law, Center for Progressive Reform Blog, June 17, 2010
- The Florida Beach Case Comes to Supreme Court: A Badly Flawed Test Case for Property Rights Advocates, Center for Progressive Reform Blog, November 30, 2009