The Master of Environmental Law and Policy (MELP) focuses on advocacy, regulations, legislation, and markets, giving students the tools needed to create a more sustainable world. VLS master’s degrees are one-year programs designed for those who do not seek a professional law degree. Students can complete the 30-credit program in as little as 12 months but can take up to five years to obtain their degree.
Administered by Vermont Law School’s highly respected Environmental Law Center, the MELP program is focused on the political, scientific, and communications aspects of environmental law, with an added emphasis on economics and advocacy. The innovative curriculum is comprised of traditional law offerings and MELP-specific courses in writing and advocacy designed to benefit graduates in the public and private sectors. Experiential learning opportunities with state and federal agencies, nonprofit organizations, and advocacy groups ensure you’re ready to move ahead in your career or take on a new position. Online learning opportunities are available for students who wish to pursue a MELP.
Summers-Only MELP Program
At A Glance
Program Center: Environmental Law Center
Location: Online, on-campus or a hybrid of both
Credit Requirements: 30 credits
Careers and Alumni
Vermont Law School master's graduates are the leaders, policymakers, and professionals our communities and our world most desperately need. Master’s alumni careers include:
- Planning and Environmental Coordinator, Bureau of Land Management
- Communications Coordinator, Connecticut Land Conservation Council Rockfall Foundation
- Urban Planning and Environmental Policy Analyst, National Parks Conservation Association
- Senior Program Officer, Verified Carbon Standard
- Ocean Policy & Communications Specialist, Kerns & West
- Water Resources Planner, GKY & Associates.
- Grants and Membership Manager, Grand Canyon Trust
- Director of Philanthropy, Donor Operations, Rainforest Trust
- Environmental Analyst, Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection
- Environmental Compliance Specialist, CCR Logistics Systems
- Water Quality Program Manager, Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay
- And more