Ready to Run!
Emerge Vermont is on a mission to recruit, train and inspire women to seek public office!
Interested in political leadership? Have you ever thought about running for office yourself? If so, plan on joining SPEAK and Emerge Vermont for a dialogue about women in politics and find out how you can take your political leadership to the next level! Please join SPEAK and Emerge Vermont on Thursday, October 29th, 2015 from 5:30-7:30 PM to welcome Emerge Vermont’s founder and Board Chair, Governor Madeleine Kunin to Vermont Law School. We're fortunate to have a stellar group of panelists including Vermont House Representative and VLS alumni Sarah Buxton, Representative Kesha Ram, Rutland County State's Attorney Rose Kennedy, and Addison County Deputy State's Attorney Ashley Hill.
We look forward to seeing you on Thursday, October 29th, 2015 in Vermont Law School’s Chase Center from 5:30-7:30 PM to welcome Emerge Vermont and start your journey to political office!
- Join SPEAK for our weekly meetings, debates, and public speaking training at Vermont Law School from 5:50-6:30 PM in Oakes 208;
- Visit the SPEAK Vermont Prison Debate Initiative for our weekly debate program for participants at the Chittenden Regional Correctional Facility, Vermont's only female correctional facility, on Wednesday's from 7:30-8:30 PM;
- Practice your public speaking skills on our "SPEAK With Us!" Radio program, hosted by Elijah LaChance, at the Royalton Community Radio station every Sunday from 2:00-3:00 PM;
- Stay tuned for the SPEAK Mock Trial meeting dates and upcoming in-house competition.
Save the Date! SPEAK's Fall Conference at Vermont Law School:
- SPEAK partners with BLSA and LALSA to host the "Race and The Law" panel on October 8th from 7:00-9:00 PM at the VLS Chase Center
- SPEAK partners with the Women's Law Group to host "No Vacancy: The Case of Discriminatory Housing" at VLS on October 15th from 12:45-2:10 PM at the VLS Chase Center
- SPEAK hosts Emerge Vermont and Governor Madeleine Kunin to discuss the importance of women's voices in the law and politics! Panelists include a host of incredible Vermont leaders: Governor Madeleine Kunin, Representative Sarah Buxton, Rutland County State's Attorney Rose Kennedy, Deputy State's Attorney Ashley Hill, and Select Board Member Rebecca White! When? October 29th, 2015 from 5:30-7:30 PM Where? VLS Chase Center Why? Because the voices of women and other marginalized gender identities matter! Be there!
SPEAK Hosts Chittenden County State's Attorney T.J. Donovan!
Thank you to everyone who came out to SPEAK's event with State's Attorney T.J. Donovan. It was a wonderful event and T.J.'s remarks were both humbling and inspiring. Special thanks to the Criminal Law Society and Vermont Practice Society for all of your support! If you are interested in following up with State's Attorney Donovan or contributing to the change he hopes to make through criminal justice reform in Vermont, contact VLS alumni Ward Hunt Goodenough for more information.
"Everyone deserves a second chance." -- T.J. Donovan
Race, Law, and Community Policing
Thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone who came out to the "Race, Law, and Community Policing" event tonight! The student and community panelists provided insightful and personal perspective to a complicated issue and offered suggestions for positive steps moving forward. Thank you for sharing, Alfonso Villegas, Markeithia Silver, Nansi Singh, and Chris Daudelin. Special thanks to Véronique Charles who made the BEAUTIFUL pamphlets for the event, Jordan MisterGsu Gaither, Santiago Romero, Natalie Donis,and Yaunek Delàn who coordinated speakers, culinary, beverages, and EVERYTHING else! Of course, all of my SPEAK E-board and members Al Dean, Shane J. PrateJessa Orluk, Laura Savall, Valdir Cabral and many others who came to support the event! And finally, thank you to Arnell Limberry who sparked the idea for this event, kept us all together and organized, and brought his professionalism and positivity to every aspect of this event.
Wonderful partners, wonderful presentations, again soon!
The VLS Speak Organization and the Social Justice Mission Scholars collaborate to host the amazing Zephyr Teachout at Vermont Law School! Professor, political candidate, author, and all around inspiration....at VLS on April 2nd! Save the date!
Marriage Equality and the U.S. Constitution
Meeting on Tuesday, March 31 at 5:30 pm in Oakes to prepare for our upcoming public debate, "Marriage Equality and the U.S. Constitution," at VLS on April 14th!
SPEAK's first conference hosted Professor Johannes Wheeldon at VLS to introduce students to the debate model described in his recent book: Debate and Dialogue in Correctional Settings. With representatives from VLS, Norwich University, UVM, & UVM Medical School, it was an incredible and thought-provoking day! A shout-out and a "Thank you!" to Norwich University Professor Johannes Wheeldon, who provided VLS and UVM students with a free training session to prepare us for our debate program starting at the Chittenden Regional Correctional Facility next week. It was an honor to work with Professor Wheeldon and learn about his ongoing initiatives to promote debate throughout Vermont and around the globe. And an enormous "Thank you!!!" to all of the SPEAK members who participated in this workshop and made sure that the day ran smoothly! Make sure to congratulate SPEAK members Al Dean, Ryan Tartre, Charlotte Gliserman, Professor Margaret M. Barry, Melissa Kent, and Amanda Naranjo who all gave excellent debate speeches on the merits of two year v. four-year degrees at the end of the day. Thank you to our faculty and administrative supporters, Professor Barry and Dean Jefferson, who helped to make the day possible!
VLS SPEAK Debate Program:
Think, Debate, Speak! for inmates at the Chittenden Regional Correctional Facility in Burlington every Saturday morning at 9:30 am for the next six weeks (2/21-3/28).This is our first training program and we look forward to partnering with more correctional facilities throughout Vermont in the future. SPEAK members Jessica Bullock, Tori Scozarro, Luke Dodge, Izzy Olson, and Ryan Tarte will be conducting these sessions. We're very excited!