President and Dean, Vermont Law School
The President and Dean’s Role and Responsibilities
The President and Dean must be an inspirational leader who is passionate about the school's mission, committed to its standards of excellence, and supportive of its creative and collegial culture. The President and Dean must work collaboratively with the faculty, staff, and Board of Trustees, and inspire the students and alumni of Vermont Law School.
With the support of a strong leadership team, the President and Dean is accountable for the growth and sustainability of Vermont Law School. The President and Dean will maintain fiscal control over expenditures, provide leadership and take an active role in identifying potential and long-term sources of support for operations and capital development.
The VLS Strategic Plan outlines our vision for the future of Vermont Law School. The plan sets out goals to strengthen our performance in a number of areas simultaneously. It is an effective, well-crafted plan that our President and Dean can build on and refine as circumstances change.
The President and Dean will need to strike a fine balance between assuring continuous oversight of VLS while developing and adapting strategies and policies necessary for growth. Reporting to the Board of Trustees, the President and Dean will have overall responsibility for planning, implementing, and managing all VLS programs and systems. The President and Dean will serve as an advisor to the Board on all organizational matters, and can expect the active involvement and support of the Board.
Some of the other key roles and responsibilities of the President and Dean include the need to:
- Strengthen the philanthropic support for VLS.
- Oversee the school's operating and capital budgets during this era of rapid change in legal education.
- Support and partner with the Board as a force for growth and development.
- Serve as spokesperson for VLS before a variety of audiences, including students, alumni, media, policymakers, partners, and supporters.
- Broaden our outreach and engagement with our entire alumni community and the many institutions and agendas they serve.
- Manage the infusion of excellent teaching in the residential classroom, the online teaching environment, and other, innovative, hybrid models of graduate education.
- Provide institutional support for excellence in research and scholarship.