Susan B. Apel
JD, Northeastern University, Boston, 1977;
BA, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, 1974
Awards and Affiliations
- E. Smythe Gambrell Professionalism Award, American Bar Association, for the General Practice Program, 2007.
- Listed in Who's Who of American Women, since 1995.
Teaching at VLS:
- Professor at Vermont Law School since 1982.
- Director of the General Practice Program, which integrates substantive law and professional skills by simulating a general practice law firm with professors, in the role of senior partners, instructing and supervising student "associates," since 2001.
- Associate Director of the General Practice Program, 1988-2001.
- Co-Director of the South Royalton Legal Clinic from 1982 to 1987.
- Domestic relations, family law, feminist jurisprudence, introduction to the lawyering process, medical/legal issues re: assisted reproduction.
Contributions to the Law:
- Article cited by U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee during hearings on child sexual abuse, 1989.
- Article cited by U.S. Senate Committee for Government Affairs in enacting the District of Columbia Civil Contempt Imprisonment Limitation Act of 1989.
- Adjunct Professor, Dartmouth Medical School, since 1998.
- Staff attorney, 1982-85, and Co-Director, 1986-87, South Royalton Legal Clinic at Vermont Law School.
- Staff attorney, 1977-82, and Co-Director, 1980-82, Keystone Legal Services, Huntingdon, Pa.