LLM, Harvard University, 1976;
LLB, Southern Methodist University, 1965;
BA, Southern Methodist University, 1963
- "The Scholar's Role in a Dangerous World: A New Look at Military Detention of Civilians,"
The Richard O. Brooks Faculty Scholarship Prize Lecture, Vermont Law School, April 22, 2010.
- "Defense Planning for a Warmer Planet,"
Conference on National Security Challenges and the Obama Administration, Duke University Law School, April 16, 2010.
- "Vermont Water Law,"
joint faculty symposium with the McGill University Law Faculty on Water Resources Law, Montreal, Quebec, October 24, 2009.
- "Whales' Tales: Reconciling National Security & Environmental Protection,"
Green Mountain College, Putney, Vermont, March 26, 2009.
- "Boumediene and Beyond: Habeas Corpus in the 21st Century,"
Washington, DC chapter of VLS Alumni Association at the National Trust for Historic Preservation, November 6, 2008.
- Moderator and panelist, "The Constitutional Rights of the Individual during Times of War or Other National Emergency vs. National Security Needs of the Nation," a public program sponsored by the University of Vermont and the Advisory Committee to the U.S. District Court for the District of Vermont, University of Vermont, Burlington, October 6, 2008.