LLM, Harvard University, 1976;
LLB, Southern Methodist University, 1965;
BA, Southern Methodist University, 1963
Awards and Affiliations
- Vermont Law School Richard Brooks Faculty Scholarship Prize, 2008 - 2010
Teaching at VLS:
- Professor at Vermont Law School since 1976.
Leadership and Service:
- Member, National Research Council Committee on Deterring Cyberattacks: Informing Strategies and Developing Options for U.S. Policy, 2009-2010.
- Chair, National Security Law Section, Association of American Law Schools, 2003–05, 2012-13.
- Co-editor in Chief, Journal of National Security Law & Policy, 2004-2008.
- Member, American Law Institute, 2000–present.
- Consultant, United States Department of Energy, 1998–2001.
- Member, Water Resources Board, State of Vermont, 1993–97.
- Member, board of directors, Lawyers Alliance for World Security, 1986-2008.
- Chair, Environmental Law Section, Association of American Law Schools, 1984–85.
Contributions to the Law:
- Frequent speaker and commentator on terrorism, government secrecy, and other national issues.
- Drafted groundwater rights legislation for Vermont, 1985.
- Drafted surface mining statute for Texas, 1974.
- Visiting Professor, State University of Petrozavodsk, Russia, 1997.
- Visiting Professor, United States Military Academy, West Point, NY, 1991–92.
- Visiting Scholar, Natural Resources Defense Council, Washington, DC, 1991.
- Visiting Scholar, University of California at Berkeley Law School (Boalt Hall), 1983–84.
- Assistant Dean, Southern Methodist University Law School, 1972–75.