Richard O. Brooks
PhD, Brandeis University, 1974;
LLB, Yale University, 1962;
MA, University of Chicago, 1958;
BA, University of Chicago, 1956
Awards and Affiliations
Teaching at VLS:
- Professor at Vermont Law School since 1978.
Leadership and Service:
- Chair, Association of American Law Schools, section on North American Cooperation, 1998-99.
- Associate, Environmental Law Institute, Washington, D.C., since 1985.
- Chair, Air Pollution Committee, American Bar Association, since 1996.
- Chair, Environmental Committee, Vermont Bar Association, 1986.
- Member, editorial review boards of Environment and Land Use Law Annual, since 1985, Environmental Auditor, since 1989, and Hazardous Materials Journal, since 1990.
Contributions to the Law:
- Convened task force that drafted Vermont's environmental enforcement legislation, enacted 1988.
- Drafted Connecticut coastal area management legislation, 1975.
- Drafted revisions for Federal Coastal Zone Management Act, 1975; drafted model municipal coastal management act, 1975.
- Drafted amendments to Rhode Island zoning enabling legislation, 1974.
- Argued Breccarioli case (for Natural Resources Defense Council) that upheld Connecticut's coastal management permitting program, 1974.
- Visiting Professor in Environmental Studies at Dartmouth College, since 1980.
- Past consultant, Natural Resources Defense Council, Inc., and U.S. Department of Energy.
- Professor of Law, Social Planning, and Environmental Planning, University of Rhode Island, 1971-78.