Richard O. Brooks
PhD, Brandeis University, 1974;
LLB, Yale University, 1962;
MA, University of Chicago, 1958;
BA, University of Chicago, 1956
Book and Chapters
- Editor, Augustine and Modern Law (Ashgate Press 2011)
- Editor, Cicero and Modern Law (Ashgate Press 2009)
- Editor, Plato and Modern Law (Ashgate Press 2007).
- Introduction to Plato and Modern Law (Ashgate Press 2006).
- Aristotle and Modern Law (Ashgate Publishing 2003).
- With Ross Jones and Ross A. Virginia, "Law and Ecology: The Rise of the Ecosystem Regime", in Ecology And Law In Modern Society (Ashgate Publishing 2002).
- "Aristotle and Modern Law," in Philosophers and Law (James Bernard Murphy & Tom D. Campbell eds., Ashgate Publishing 2002).
- With K. Leonard, et al., Toward Community Sustainability: Vermont’s Act 250 (Vol. I 1996, Vol. II 1997).
- With Thomas Hoban, Green Justice: The Environment and The Courts (2d ed., Westview Press 1996).
- "Buying the Sky: Acid Rain Controls in the U.S. Under the 1990 Clean Air Act," in Acid Rain, (J. Rose ed., Gordon and Breach Science Publishers 1994).
- "Federal Air Pollution Control," in Zoning and Land Use Controls (Patrick Rohan ed., 1991).
- "The Law of Municipal Comprehensive Planning," in Zoning and Land Use Controls (Patrick Rohan ed., 1990).
- "State and Regional Land Use Controls," in Zoning and Land Use Controls (Patrick Rohan ed., 1989).
- "State and Local Environmental Impact Requirements," in Zoning and Land Use Controls (Patrick Rohan ed., 1988).
- New Towns and Communal Values (1974).
- The Gulf Oil Spill: The Road Not Taken, 74 Albany L. Rev. 489 (2010/2011)
- Refurbishing of Life Stages: A Meditation Upon the Law of the Stages of Life, Buffalo L. Rev. (Sep. 2006).
- Kelo and the “Whaling City”: A Search for the Urban Public Interest, Real Estate L. Rev. (Sep. 2006).
- Speaking (Vermont) Truth to (Washington) Power, 29 Vt. L. Rev. 877-893 (2005).
- The Many Busts of Aristotle on Display: A Review of Calnan’s ‘Justice and Tort Law,’ 36 Tort & Ins. L.J. 1105 (2001).
- Introduction to Symposium, Quebec, Canada and First Nations: The Problem of Secession, 23 Vt. L. Rev. 699 (1999).
- Law and Civil Society in the U.S., Canada, Quebec and the First Nations, 15 U. Ariz. J. Int’l & Comp. L. 1 (1998).
- With Anne Drost, Civil Society Regimes and Ecosystem Management: Selected Problems in Lake Champlain, 15 U. Ariz. J. Int’l & Comp. L. 289 (1998).
- Legal Realism, Norman Williams and Vermont’s Act 250, 20 Vt. L. Rev. 699 (1996).
- Meditative Reflections on Ecology, Environmental Law and the Protection of Scenic Beauty, part of the Gordon H. Barker Memorial Paper Series In Natural Resource Policy, University of Wisconsin-Madison Center for Resource Policy Studies and Programs (1992).
- A Constitutional Right to a Healthful Environment, 16 Vt. L. Rev. 1063 (1992).
- A Program for the Education of Environmental Auditors at Vermont Law School’s Environmental Law Center, Envtl. Auditor, 1991, at 59.
- A New Agenda for Modern Environmental Law, 6J. Envtl. L. & Litig. 1 (1991).
- Environmental Law Center: Curriculum Innovation and the Future of Environmental Law and its Study, Hazardous Materials (1991).
- Ethical Legal Identity and Professional Responsibility, 4 Geo. J. Legal Ethics 317 (1990).
- Les Mains Sales: The Ethical and Political Implications of SLAPP Suits, 7 Pace Envtl. L. Rev. 61 (1989).
- Intellectual Technology: The Dilemma of Environmental Law, 15 Rutgers Computer & Tech. L.J. 411 (1989).
- An Introduction to the Vermont Law Review’s Section on the Developments and Issues in Environmental Law, 13 Vt. L. Rev. 627 (1989).
- Undergraduate Legal Education as a Vehicle for Liberal Education, J. Liberal Educ. (1987).
- Response in Rethinking Tort & Environmental Liability Laws, 24 Hous. L. Rev. 53 (1987).
- Coercion to Environmental Virtue: Can and Should Law Mandate Environmentally Sensitive Life Styles?, 31 Am. J. Juris. (1987).
- Aesthetic Theory & Landscape Protection: The Many Meanings of Beauty & Their Implications for the Design, Control & Protection of Vermont’s Landscape, 4 U.C.L.A. J. Envtl. L. & Pol’y 129 (1985).
- Grafting Fiscal Impact Analysis on Vermont’s Act 250: The Lessons of the Pyramid Mall Case, 12 Pol’y Stud. J. 511 (1984).
- The Mini-Dialectics of the Law of Acid Rain, 18 Int’l J. Envtl. Stud. (1982).
- The Future of Ethical Humanism, 31 J. Legal Educ. 287 (1981).
- The Deregulatory Approach to Public Planning, Planning (1981).
- The Evaluation of Compensable Regulations: A Return to Beuscher’s Defense of Invalidation, 19 Urban L. Ann. 27 (1980).
- The Law of Plan Implementation in the United States, 16 Urban L. Ann. 225 (1979).
- The Legalization of Planning within the Growth of the Administrative State, 31 Admin. L. Rev. 67 (1979).
- Jurisprudence of Planning: Notes on the Outline of Law Required to Support and Control Planners, 24 Cath. Law. 1 (1978).
- The Legal Structures and Policy Implications of New Towns, 50 Conn. B.J. 42 (1976).
- Protecting Rhode Island’s Environment by Implementing the Comprehensive Plan of Development: A New Legal Frontier, 24 Rhode Island B.J. (1976).
- The Policy Issues of New Towns: One Failure of Law to Guide Planning in America, 8 Urban Law. 99 (1976).
- Millstone Two and the Rainbow: Planning Law and Environmental Protection, 4 Conn. L. Rev. 54 (1971).
- New Towns and Citizen Participation: A Policy Analysis, J. Comm. Devel. Soc. (1971).
- Social Planning in Columbia, J. Am. Inst. Planners Nov. 1971.
- An Urban Growth Policy for Rhode Island, Rhode Island Business Q. Sept. 1971.
- The Functions of the Constitution and the Establishment Clause, 13 Cath. Law. 325 (1967).
- The Neighborhood Social-Legal Program, 33 Social Service Rev. (1964).
- With David Farnsworth, Environmental Liability and Participation: The Second-Best Solution, 40 McGill L.J. 805 (1995) (reviewing Gretta Goldenman Et al., Environmental Liability and Privitazation In Central America and Eastern Europe, 1994).
- U. S. Environmental Law: Ecosystems, the Commons and Environmental Rights (1993) (unpublished paper presented to the Institu Nacional de Administracao, Lisbon, Portugal, May 1993) (on file with author).
- With Janette Eadon, Environmental Mediation in Vermont (1983) (on file with Environmental Law Center, Vermont Law School).
- Institutional Factors of Power Production in New England, in Impact Of Water Availability on Electrical Energy Production on New England (BEDA 1977).
- Municipal Environmental Ordinances: Compendium of Municipal Environmental Laws, University of Rhode Island (1977).
- Essay, Beyond Advocacy and Towards Justice: The Contribution of Legal Reasoning to Planning and Policy Making, Am. Inst. Planners (1972).