Richard O. Brooks
PhD, Brandeis University, 1974;
LLB, Yale University, 1962;
MA, University of Chicago, 1958;
BA, University of Chicago, 1956
Book and Chapters
- With James Bernard Murphy, Aquinas and Modern Law (Ashgate Press 2013).
- With Ross Virginia, "A Decade of Change in the Concept of the Ecosystem Legal Regime", (Series Editors' Preface) in Mary Jane Angelo, The Law and Ecology of Pesticides and Pest Management, (2013).
- Editor, Augustine and Modern Law (Ashgate Press 2011)
- Editor, Cicero and Modern Law (Ashgate Press 2009)
- Editor, Plato and Modern Law (Ashgate Press 2007).
- Introduction to Plato and Modern Law (Ashgate Press 2006).
- Aristotle and Modern Law (Ashgate Publishing 2003).
- With Ross Jones and Ross A. Virginia, "Law and Ecology: The Rise of the Ecosystem Regime", in Ecology And Law In Modern Society (Ashgate Publishing 2002).
- "Aristotle and Modern Law," in Philosophers and Law (James Bernard Murphy & Tom D. Campbell eds., Ashgate Publishing 2002).
- With K. Leonard, et al., Toward Community Sustainability: Vermont’s Act 250 (Vol. I 1996, Vol. II 1997).
- With Thomas Hoban, Green Justice: The Environment and The Courts (2d ed., Westview Press 1996).
- "Buying the Sky: Acid Rain Controls in the U.S. Under the 1990 Clean Air Act," in Acid Rain, (J. Rose ed., Gordon and Breach Science Publishers 1994).
- "Federal Air Pollution Control," in Zoning and Land Use Controls (Patrick Rohan ed., 1991).
- "The Law of Municipal Comprehensive Planning," in Zoning and Land Use Controls (Patrick Rohan ed., 1990).
- "State and Regional Land Use Controls," in Zoning and Land Use Controls (Patrick Rohan ed., 1989).
- "State and Local Environmental Impact Requirements," in Zoning and Land Use Controls (Patrick Rohan ed., 1988).
- New Towns and Communal Values (1974).
- Making the 'Mediterranean of the Western Hemisphere' a Sustainable Community: The Connecticut Coastal Management Act and the Long Island Sound, Vt. L. Rev. 13:3 453 (2012).
- The Gulf Oil Spill: The Road Not Taken, 74 Albany L. Rev. 489 (2010/2011)
- Refurbishing of Life Stages: A Meditation Upon the Law of the Stages of Life, Buffalo L. Rev. (Sep. 2006).
- Kelo and the “Whaling City”: A Search for the Urban Public Interest, Real Estate L. Rev. (Sep. 2006).
- Speaking (Vermont) Truth to (Washington) Power, 29 Vt. L. Rev. 877-893 (2005).
- The Many Busts of Aristotle on Display: A Review of Calnan’s ‘Justice and Tort Law,’ 36 Tort & Ins. L.J. 1105 (2001).
- Introduction to Symposium, Quebec, Canada and First Nations: The Problem of Secession, 23 Vt. L. Rev. 699 (1999).
- Law and Civil Society in the U.S., Canada, Quebec and the First Nations, 15 U. Ariz. J. Int’l & Comp. L. 1 (1998).
- With Anne Drost, Civil Society Regimes and Ecosystem Management: Selected Problems in Lake Champlain, 15 U. Ariz. J. Int’l & Comp. L. 289 (1998).
- Legal Realism, Norman Williams and Vermont’s Act 250, 20 Vt. L. Rev. 699 (1996).
- Meditative Reflections on Ecology, Environmental Law and the Protection of Scenic Beauty, part of the Gordon H. Barker Memorial Paper Series In Natural Resource Policy, University of Wisconsin-Madison Center for Resource Policy Studies and Programs (1992).
- A Constitutional Right to a Healthful Environment, 16 Vt. L. Rev. 1063 (1992).
- A Program for the Education of Environmental Auditors at Vermont Law School’s Environmental Law Center, Envtl. Auditor, 1991, at 59.
- A New Agenda for Modern Environmental Law, 6J. Envtl. L. & Litig. 1 (1991).
- Environmental Law Center: Curriculum Innovation and the Future of Environmental Law and its Study, Hazardous Materials (1991).
- Ethical Legal Identity and Professional Responsibility, 4 Geo. J. Legal Ethics 317 (1990).
- Les Mains Sales: The Ethical and Political Implications of SLAPP Suits, 7 Pace Envtl. L. Rev. 61 (1989).
- Intellectual Technology: The Dilemma of Environmental Law, 15 Rutgers Computer & Tech. L.J. 411 (1989).
- An Introduction to the Vermont Law Review’s Section on the Developments and Issues in Environmental Law, 13 Vt. L. Rev. 627 (1989).
- Undergraduate Legal Education as a Vehicle for Liberal Education, J. Liberal Educ. (1987).
- Response in Rethinking Tort & Environmental Liability Laws, 24 Hous. L. Rev. 53 (1987).
- Coercion to Environmental Virtue: Can and Should Law Mandate Environmentally Sensitive Life Styles?, 31 Am. J. Juris. (1987).
- Aesthetic Theory & Landscape Protection: The Many Meanings of Beauty & Their Implications for the Design, Control & Protection of Vermont’s Landscape, 4 U.C.L.A. J. Envtl. L. & Pol’y 129 (1985).
- Grafting Fiscal Impact Analysis on Vermont’s Act 250: The Lessons of the Pyramid Mall Case, 12 Pol’y Stud. J. 511 (1984).
- The Mini-Dialectics of the Law of Acid Rain, 18 Int’l J. Envtl. Stud. (1982).
- The Future of Ethical Humanism, 31 J. Legal Educ. 287 (1981).
- The Deregulatory Approach to Public Planning, Planning (1981).
- The Evaluation of Compensable Regulations: A Return to Beuscher’s Defense of Invalidation, 19 Urban L. Ann. 27 (1980).
- The Law of Plan Implementation in the United States, 16 Urban L. Ann. 225 (1979).
- The Legalization of Planning within the Growth of the Administrative State, 31 Admin. L. Rev. 67 (1979).
- Jurisprudence of Planning: Notes on the Outline of Law Required to Support and Control Planners, 24 Cath. Law. 1 (1978).
- The Legal Structures and Policy Implications of New Towns, 50 Conn. B.J. 42 (1976).
- Protecting Rhode Island’s Environment by Implementing the Comprehensive Plan of Development: A New Legal Frontier, 24 Rhode Island B.J. (1976).
- The Policy Issues of New Towns: One Failure of Law to Guide Planning in America, 8 Urban Law. 99 (1976).
- Millstone Two and the Rainbow: Planning Law and Environmental Protection, 4 Conn. L. Rev. 54 (1971).
- New Towns and Citizen Participation: A Policy Analysis, J. Comm. Devel. Soc. (1971).
- Social Planning in Columbia, J. Am. Inst. Planners Nov. 1971.
- An Urban Growth Policy for Rhode Island, Rhode Island Business Q. Sept. 1971.
- The Functions of the Constitution and the Establishment Clause, 13 Cath. Law. 325 (1967).
- The Neighborhood Social-Legal Program, 33 Social Service Rev. (1964).
- With Melissa Scanlan, reviewing Environmental Protection in Multi-Layered Systems: Lessons for the Water Sector, edited by Mariachiara Alberton and Francesco Palmero in Publius: The Journal of Federalism, 2014.
- With David Farnsworth, Environmental Liability and Participation: The Second-Best Solution, 40 McGill L.J. 805 (1995) (reviewing Gretta Goldenman Et al., Environmental Liability and Privitazation In Central America and Eastern Europe, 1994).
- U. S. Environmental Law: Ecosystems, the Commons and Environmental Rights (1993) (unpublished paper presented to the Institu Nacional de Administracao, Lisbon, Portugal, May 1993) (on file with author).
- With Janette Eadon, Environmental Mediation in Vermont (1983) (on file with Environmental Law Center, Vermont Law School).
- Institutional Factors of Power Production in New England, in Impact Of Water Availability on Electrical Energy Production on New England (BEDA 1977).
- Municipal Environmental Ordinances: Compendium of Municipal Environmental Laws, University of Rhode Island (1977).
- Essay, Beyond Advocacy and Towards Justice: The Contribution of Legal Reasoning to Planning and Policy Making, Am. Inst. Planners (1972).