Peter R. Teachout
MA, University of Sussex, England, 1967;
JD, Harvard University, 1965;
BA, Amherst College, 1962
Books and Chapters
- "Uncreated Conscience: The Civilizing Force of Fuller's Jurisprudence," in Rediscovering Fuller (1999).
- With Fonseca, Handling Consumer Credit Cases, (2d ed., Lawyers Cooperative Publishing Co. 1980).
- Channeling Enterprise Activity Through Law: Cases and Materials on Business and Public Policy (ASUW U. Washington, 1973).
- "Louisiana Underlaw," in Southern Justice (Leon Friedman ed., Pantheon Press 1965).
- Holocaust Denial and Freedom of Speech: From the Perspective of U.S. Constitutional Law, Vt.L.Rev. (2006).
- Trustees and Servants: Government Accountability in Early Vermont, 31 Vt.L.Rev. 857-905 (2006).
- No Simple Disposition: The Brigham Case and the Future of Local Control Over School Spending in Vermont, 22 Vt.L.Rev. 21 (1997).
- Uneasy Burden: What it Means to Think Like a Lawyer, 42 Mercer L. Rev. 593 (1996).
- Strains of Music: Understanding the Speech of the Nomoi in Plato's Crito, 63 U. Cin. L. Rev . 51 (1994).
- Complete Achievement: Integrity of Vision and Performance in Berman's Jurisprudence, 42 Emory L.J. 497 (1993).
- Lapse of Judgment, 77 Cal. L. Rev. 1259 (1989).
- Chicago Exposition: The New American Jurisprudence as a Cultural Literature, 39 Mercer L. Rev. 767 (1988).
- Against the Stream, 13 Vt.L.Rev. 13 (1988).
- The Burden of the Liberal Song, 62 Ind. L.J. 1283 (1987).
- Soul of the Fugue: An Essay on Reading Fuller, 70 Minn. L. Rev. 1073 (1986).
- Sentimental Metaphors, 34 UCLA L. Rev . 537 (1986).
- Worlds Beyond Theory: Toward the Expression of an Integrative Ethic for Self and Culture, 83 Mich.L. Rev . 849 (1985).
- The Heart of the Lawyer's Craft, 42 Wash. & Lee L. Rev. 39 (1985).
- Boundaries of Realism: White's Tort Law in America, 67 Va. L. Rev. 815 (1981).
- Chains of Tradition, Instruments of Freedom: Contours of the Emerging Right to Community in Obscenity Law, 7 Cap. City L. Rev. 683 (1978).
- Light in Ashes: The Problem of 'Respect for the Rule of Law' in History, 53 NYU L. Rev . 241 (1978).
- Gilmore's New Book: Turning and Turning in the Widening Gyre, 2 Vt. L. Rev. 229 (1977).
- "A Thousand Groves and Streams: Historical Origins of the European Union Motto: 'United in Diversity.'", article in European Autonomy and Diversity Papers (EPAP) published online at eurac.edu (2009)
- "A Time to Die: A Constitutional Right to Death with Dignity?" (2007) in volume of essays published by Kluwer Press on Life, Technology, and the Law (forthcoming).
- Article on "Thomas Reed Powell," in American National Biography (Oxford U. Press 1999).
- Trustees and Servants: Government Accountability in Early Vermont Constitutional Experience (paper presented as part of a series on Vermont issues and submitted to Secretary of State's office for publication (1991)).
- The Difficulties of the Middle Way, Bostonia, Fall, 1991.
- Articles in Guide to American Law (West Publishing Co. 1983-85): Henry de Bracton; English Bill of Rights; Courts of Common Pleas; Edward the Confessor; Ranulph De Glanvill; Sir Mathew Hale; Sir William Searle Holdsworth; Lanfranc; Sir Thomas Littleton; Court of King's (or Queen's) Bench; Frederick Maitland; Sir Frederick Pollock; John Selden; Selden Society.
- East-West Sons of Mark Twain, The Nation, Apr. 1966 (book review).