Liz Ryan Cole
JD, Boston University, 1973;
BA, Oberlin College, 1968
Awards and Affiliations
Teaching at VLS:
- Professor at Vermont Law School since 1984.
- Director of the Semester in Practice/Environmental Semester in Washington since 1984; a full time external clinic.
Leadership and Service:
- First President, Clinical Legal Education Association, 1992–93.
- Member, Clinical Section, Association of American Law Schools since 1988; Member, executive committee, 1987–91, and Chair, committee on externships, 1988–89.
- Member, Board of Trustees, Vermont Legal Aid, 1984–94.
- Member, continuing legal education committee, Vermont Bar Association, 1984–87, 1991.
- Member, Sterry Waterman Inn of Court, 1994–present.
- Led a VLS trip to Havana, Cuba, under a license from the U.S. Department of the Treasury, 2001.
- Speaks Spanish: taught in Colombia in the 1960s and worked with Spanish-speaking clients in California, 1973–77, and staff of the Legal Services programs in Puerto Rico, 1980–83.
- As director, established VLS' Semester in Practice program, 1984.
- As director, established full-time Office of Career Services at VLS, 1984.
- As designer and leader, offers two-day workshops on improving supervision skills in practice of law for judges, lawyers, and law professors, since 1984.
- Regional Training Coordinator, Legal Services Corporation, New York City, 1980–83.
- Training Coordinator, Legal Services Training and Advocacy Project, New Haven, CT, 1978–80.
- Partner in Katz, Cole and Beam, San Jose, CA, 1975–76.
- Legal Services of Santa Clara County, CA, staff attorney, 1974–75 and 1977.