Geoffrey B. Shields
Professor of Law
JD, Yale Law School, 1972;
BA, in economics, magna cum laude, Harvard College, 1967
Awards and Affiliations
Teaching at VLS:Dean and President and Professor of Law at Vermont Law School since 2004.
Leadership and Service:
- Vice chair or treasurer of the Chicago Council on Foreign Relations, 1994–2004.
- Honorary Life Director, 2004-present.
- Active Member of the Council on Foreign Relations in New York, 2000–present.
- Chair of the Board of Trustees of Lake Forest College, 1997–2000.
- Board member, Bennington College, 1981–1984.
- Member, Board of Directors of the Retreat, Brattleboro, VT, 2002–2004.
- Member, Board of Directors of Hospital Billing and Collection Service.
- Member, Board of Directors of Ziegler Companies, Inc..
- Member of District of Columbia, Illinois, and Vermont bars.
Contributions to the Law:
- Frequent speaker on subjects related to legal ethics, not-for-profit institutions, and foreign policy matters.
- Partner and past chair of the management committee of the Chicago and Washington, D.C., law firm Gardner, Carton, and Douglas.
- Recipient, Honorary Doctor of Laws degree from Lake Forest College, IL, 2000.
- Served as special assistant to the secretary of the United States Department of Health, Education, and Welfare, 1977.
- Served as assistant counsel to the U.S. Foreign Relations Committee and counsel and foreign policy advisor to Senator Frank Church, 1973–76.
- Served as clerk to Judge James L. Oakes of the U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit, from 1972–73.