Carl A. Yirka
JD, Indiana University (Bloomington), 1984;
MS, Case Western Reserve University, 1975;
BA, Columbia University, 1974
Awards and Affiliations
Teaching at VLS:
Professor and Director of the Julien and Virginia Cornell Library, since 1989.
Leadership and Service:
- Member, Board of Directors, Vermont/Karelia Rule of Law Committee.
- Helped negotiate agreement with sister school, Petrozavodsk State University Law Faculty, Karelia, Russia, and consulted on library and the Internet, since 1993.
- Editor, "Best Legal Reference Books," Law Library Journal, 1988-90.
- At VLS, oversees the Cornell Library with a growing collection of about 2,300 periodical and serial titles, and 230,000 volumes; a special collection in environmental law; a budget surpassing $1-million; five librarians; and six support staff.
- Project Director, The Vermont Law School and Petrozavodsk State University Law Faculty Legal Education Partnership, 1998-2002. A four-year university partnership partially funded by the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs of the United States Information Agency under the authority of the Fulbright-Hays Act of 1961, as amended. A second, three-year grant has been funded for the period 2002-2005.
- Associate Librarian and Adjunct Professor of Law, New York Law School, 1985-89.
- Acquisitions Librarian, Indiana University School of Law, 1983-84.
- Head, Acquisitions Department, Northwestern University School of Law Library, 1978-82.
- Reference Librarian, Chase Law School, Northern Kentucky University, 1975-78.