Dr. Jur., Christian-Albrechts-Universitat, 2000;
LLM, Christian-Albrechts-Universitat, 1994;
JD, University of Michigan, 1982;
BA, Northwestern University, 1978
- "Treaty Interlinkages: Marine Biodiversity, Ecosystem Services and Law of the Sea," UC-Berkeley Law of the Sea Institute/Korea Ocean Research and Development Institute Conference Securing the Ocean for the 21st Century, Seoul Korea, May 23, 2012.
- Keynote Speech, "Is the Law of the Sea Convention truly the only legal framework required for the Arctic Ocean?" Workshop on 'Integrated Management and Assessment in the Marine Arctic', Shell Oil and University of Utrecht, Utrecht, Netherlands, May 16,
- "The Developing Regional Regime for the Marine Arctic," Authors workshop, The Law of the Sea and Polar Regions, Netherlands Institute for the Law of the Sea, University of Utrecht, Utrecht, Netherlands, May 14, 2012.
- "Regulating Offshore Oil and Gas Activity in the Arctic Ocean post-Deepwater Horizon," speaker and panel organizer, Joint Session of Sections on International Law and on North American Cooperation, AALS, January 5, 2012.
- "How international law fails to protect the Arctic Ocean against harm from offshore oil and gas activity" to the Arctic Council PAME Arctic Ocean Review Phase II Experts Workshop, Reykjavik, Iceland, September 21, 2011.
- "Harmonizing Offshore Oil and Gas Regulation in the Arctic" in absentia to the Fourth Polar Law Symposium in Nuuk, Greenland. September 9, 2011.
- "Regulating Offshore Oil and Gas Activity Around the Arctic." University of Alaska Anchorage, Institute of Economic and Social Research, August 19, 2011.
- "Arctic Offshore Oil and Gas Regulation: Room for Convergence?" Institute of the North Week of the Arctic, Anchorage, AK, also covered on Anchorage KTUU evening news and Alaska News Nightly, the local NPR affiliate. August 17, 2011.
- The Legal Status of Arctic Sea Ice: An Update in the Face of (climate) change, International Congress on Arctic Social Studies, Akureyri, Iceland, June 24, 2011.
- Sustainability as a Principle of Resource Exploitation in the Arctic: An Introduction/Response to Samantha Fow, Mc Gill Faculty of Law, Montreal, Quebec June 11, 2011.
- "Canadian-U.S. Cooperation in the Beaufort Sea", International Bar Association, Section on Energy, Environment, Natural Resources and Infrastructure Law (SEERIL), Toronto, Ontario, Canada, April 26, 2010.
- "Mapping the Arctic Ocean: Law, Geophysics, and the Politics of Cooperation", Croft Center for International Studies, The University of Mississippi, Oxford, MS, March 1, 2010.
- "Comparing Canadian Inuvialuit and Alaskan Inupiat Participation in Managing Marine Resources", Arctic Frontiers Annual Meeting, Tromsø, Norway, January 28, 2010.
- "From the Gulf of Maine to the Beaufort Sea: 25 Years of Change for Arctic Neighbours", "Shared Borders and Dividing Lines: A Century of Canada-U.S. Territorial and Boundary Disputes," Université de Montreal, Faculty of Law, Montreal, Quebec, December 11, 2009.
- "Ecosystems and Arctic Boundaries, From the Gulf of Maine to the Beaufort Sea", 25th Anniversary Commemoration of the Gulf of Maine Maritime Boundary Delimitation, sponsored by University of Maine School of Law Marine Law Institute and the Marine and Environmental Law Institute of Dalhousie University, Prout's Neck, ME, November 14, 2009.
- "Governance and Arctic Shipping, Considering a Roadmap Forward: The Arctic Marine Shipping Assessment", convened by University of Alaska-Fairbanks, Dartmouth College, and University of the Arctic, Fairbanks, AK, October 23, 2009.
- "International Ocean Law, Marine Scientific Research, and Intersections with National Legal Regimes", "International scientific collaboration and legal regimes in a changing Arctic Ocean," International Arctic Research Center, University of Alaska, Fairbanks, AK, September 21, 2009. Presentation available at www.iarc.uaf.edu/workshops/2009/4/baker.pdf.
- "State Sovereignty and the Commission on the Limits of the Continental Shelf", 3d Symposium on the Impacts of an Ice-Diminishing Arctic on Naval and Maritime Operations, U.S. Naval Academy, Annapolis, MD, June 10, 2009.
- "Mapping for Advocacy-Using Marine Geophysical Data to Establish the Limits of the Extended Continental Shelves under the Convention on the Law of the Sea", with B. Coakley, American Geophysical Union Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA, December 17, 2008. Abstract # GC33B-0780 available at http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2008AGUFMGC33B0780C.
- "Science-Driven Cooperation and Policy: Addressing Canadian/U.S. Diplomatic Concerns in the Arctic", "The Law and Politics of Canadian Jurisdiction on the Arctic Ocean Seabed," Arctic Change 2008 Conference, in conjunction with the International Polar Year, Quebec City, Quebec, December 10, 2008.
- Panelist, "The Development of International Courts and Tribunals in the 20th Century", for "Manley O. Hudson: Progress in International Law," Annual Meeting of the American Society of International Law, Washington, D.C., April 12, 2008.