Alexander W. Banks
JD, Vermont Law School, 1987;
BA, Bates College, 1983
Awards and Affiliations
- Received Certificate of Appreciation from the Vermont Supreme Court for service to Vermont Family Courts (2005).
- Received Award of Appreciation for Outstanding Advocacy and Awareness by the Vermont Network Against Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault, April 2000.
Teaching at VLS:
- Staff Attorney at South Royalton Legal Clinic since 1995.
- One of four experienced attorneys who supervise the South Royalton Legal Clinic's student clinicians.
- Designed and taught a course on Comparative Family Law issues at Petrozavodsk State University, Karelia, Russia, October 2000.
Leadership and Service:
- Member, Windsor County Domestic Violence Task Force.
- Project Director, Children First! Legal Advocacy Project; provides representation to children in difficult family law cases.
- Member, Guardian ad Litem Oversight Committee.
- Faculty Adviser, VLS chapter of Habitat for Humanity, since 1995.
- Chair, Northwestern Legal Services Housing Law Task Force, Farrell, PA, 1993-95.
- Drafted and administered Mercer County pro bono plan, Mercer County, PA, 1993-95.
- Member, Bench-bar Committee, Mercer County Bar Association, 1991-95.
- Member, Board of Directors, Mercer County Literacy Council, 1992-95.
- Member, Advisory Board and Board of Directors, Mercer County Children and Youth Services, 1993-95.
- Participant, Mercer County Industrial Development Authority, 1992-95.
- Adviser, Southwest Gardens Economic Development Corp., Farrell, PA, 1987-95.
Contributions to the Law:
- Appellee’s Counsel in Raynes v. Rogers, – A.2d –, 2008 WL1758712 (Vt. 2008).
- Alexander Banks & James C. May, Lawyering for Children in High-Conflict Cases, Vt. B. J. 51 (Winter 2007).
- Lead counsel in Meyers vs. Unemployment Compensation Board of Review. Pennsylvania Supreme Court changed the evidentiary standard in administrative proceedings and redefined willful misconduct for purposes of unemployment compensation, 1993.