VLS in the News
Weeks of Dec. 12, 19, 26
January 2, 2012
- The Salt Lake Tribune talked to Professor Michael McCann on Jan. 1 about a potential antitrust lawsuit against the Bowl Championship Series.
- The Burlington Free Press spoke with Professor Cheryl Hanna on Dec. 30 about a proposed rule to authorize Vermont law enforcement officials to break into residences, businesses and other premises to place tracking devices.
- The New York Times talked to Adjunct Professor Peter Bradford on Dec. 28 about a dispute within the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission.
- The Los Angeles Times, McClatchy News Service, Daily Kos, SNL Financial, Reuters, Yahoo! News, Platts and other media talked to Mark Cooper and Adjunct Professor Peter Bradford on Dec. 28-29 about Cooper's new study finding that regulatory fallout from Japan's nuclear disaster will hamper nuclear power plant construction in the U.S. Cooper is is a senior research fellow for economic analysis at the Institute for Energy and the Environment.
- Hearst Newspapers, whose story ran in the Houston Chronicle and other news outlets nationwide, spoke with Associate Professor Teresa Clemmer on Dec. 28 about the EPA's new air pollution regulations that require power plants in 28 states to cut smog- and soot-forming emissions that cross state lines.
- NPR mentioned Professor Michael McCann in a Dec. 27 story about a lawsuit against the NFL by former players who have had concussions.
- ClimateWire talked to Professor Pat Parenteau on Dec. 23 about the proposed Keystone XL oil pipeline.
- Reuters, whose Dec. 22 story was carried by Scientific American and other media, spoke with Adjunct Professor Peter Bradford about the prospects for nuclear power.
- Reuters carried an Inside Climate News story on Dec. 22 talking to Professor Pat Parenteau about the political fallout from the Keystone XL pipeline controversy.
- In his Sports Illustrated column Dec. 22, Professor Michael McCann discussed the sentencing of boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. for domestic violence.
- The Huffington Post, Moms Clean Air Force and Daily Kos quoted Associate Professor Teresa Clemmer on Dec. 21-23 about the EPA's new rules to limit mercury and other toxic air pollutants.
- Platts spoke with Professor Pat Parenteau on Dec. 19 about the EPA's legal position in defense of its challenged greenhouse gas tailoring rule.
- The Burlington Free Press reported Dec. 19 on volunteers, including VLS students, who helped South Royalton residents hurt by Tropical Storm Irene.
- CBS The Early Show spoke with Professor Michael McCann on Dec. 17 about the arrest of NFL player Sam Hurd on drug charges and the possible implications for the league and other players.
- WAMC Northeast Public Radio talked to Professor Michael Dworkin on Dec. 16 about Vermont's Comprehensive Energy Plan.
- In his two Sports Illustrated columns Dec. 16, Professor Michael McCann discussed the sentencing of former baseball star Barry Bonds for obstruction of justice and the arrest of NFL player Sam Hurd on drug charges.
- CBS News talked to Associate Professor Jennifer Taub on Dec. 15 about the salaries and other benefits given to the top-paid CEOs in the U.S.
- Greenwire spoke with Professor Pat Parenteau on Dec. 15 about a new survey that found federal agencies are inconsistent in their analysis of how climate change would affect large projects.
- Miller-McCune online magazine spoke with Professor Gus Speth on Dec. 15 about "degrowth" economics.
- NPR, Bloomberg Businessweek, Gannett News Service, whose stories were picked up by affiliates nationwide, and other media talked to Adjunct Professor Peter Bradford on Dec. 14 about a dispute within the the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission.
- Professor Michael McCann talked to several radio stations Dec. 14-16 about the Penn State sexual abuse scandal, Barry Bonds' sentencing and other issues: Jim Rome Show, Yahoo! Sports Radio, Knoxville WNML, Toronto 590, ESPN Burlington, Portland (Oregon) 750 AM and KCBS Los Angeles.
- The Huffington Post ran an op-ed on Dec. 13 about adapting to climate change by Associate Professor Benjamin Sovacool.
- In his Sports Illustrated column Dec. 13, which was cited by The New York Times, Professor Michael McCann discussed the tactics being used by the lawyer for the former Penn State football coach accused of sexually assaulting children.
- In a Vermont Public Radio commentary Dec. 12, Professor Cheryl Hanna discussed whether government holiday displays to commemorate the season are legal.
- Renew Grid and other media reported Dec. 12 on the Institute for Energy and the Environment's partnership with Sandia National Laboratory to establish a joint Center for Energy Transformation and Innovation.
- Greenwire ran a Tampa Tribune story Dec. 12 talking to Mark Cooper about a failed repair project at a nuclear plant in Florida. Cooper is a senior research fellow for economic analysis at the Institute for Energy and the Environment.
- The New York Times, Los Angeles Times, National Geographic Daily News, Huffington Post, High Country News, National Law Journal, Wall Street Journal, Reuters, Yahoo! News, Digg, NPR Seattle affiliate KUOW, Vermont Public Radio, WCAX, EcoWatch, Burlington Free Press and other media reported Dec. 12-22 on VLS's Top 10 Environmental Watch List, which examined the most important environmental law and policy issues of 2011-12 as chosen by VLS faculty and students.