Social Justice Scholarship Program
This scholarship is for outstanding students who have a deep commitment to developing legal expertise in order to address issues of social justice. The students who qualify for this scholarship will have a history of public service and be able to connect their experience and interests to their vision for public interest lawyering.
What can Social Justice Scholars expect?
- A partial scholarship award
- Monthly dinners with public interest lawyers and scholars
- A dedicated faculty member who will help students build experiences in law school consistent with their goals, including
- advising on courses and practice experiences during law school
- placement after law school in areas of identified interest
- Mentorship throughout law school by an alumnus of the school with similar interests
- A stipend during the first summer to support a ten-week public service internship.
Scholars are required to remain in good academic standing and to take leadership roles in pro bono legal service projects and programs throughout their tenure at VLS.
The Social Justice Scholarship is available only to traditional and extended JD applicants.
Application and Selection Process:
1) Submit an essay that discusses your history of public service and connects that service to what you hope to do as a lawyer. Include in the essay what in your life has led you to the decision to pursue the public interest service you identify and what you anticipate will be greatest challenges and rewards. The essay should be no more than 800 words.
2) Submit a letter of recommendation from a former supervisor or professor that speaks from personal knowledge about your commitment to public service, and, in particular, the area of legal service you intend to pursue.
3) Complete your entire application for law school and the scholarship by March 1, 2014. We will notify those selected for interviews by March 15, 2014. Interviews will be conducted the week of April 1, 2014 via Skype or in person. Scholarship offers will be made by April 15, 2014.